When a woman becomes a mother, it changes her life permanently. She feels the tremendous joy of having a baby. But with that, there’s also the sense of many responsibilities. As a mother, you need to take care of your baby’s every need. You need to ensure your child’s comfort, health, and safety. There are so many things you need to remember and take care of. Massaging your child is one of them.
Importance of massages for babies:
The sense of touch is very important for a baby. It is the first sense that they develop. A gentle touch is reassuring to them. And babies need to be constantly reassured as they get used to the world. Babies feel it when you touch them, pat them, or rock them. Whenever they are in pain, babies want loving arms to hold them. They feel it as a sign that someone is there to take care of them.
A gentle and stimulating massage by doctor, nurse, and parents also gives this reassuring feeling to the babies. Even adults enjoy massages. It makes them feel good. But a massage is more important for a baby than it is for adults. It comforts them, helps in the baby’s development, and strengthens the bond between the parents and the baby.
Advantages of massaging your baby:
- Massage helps in the baby’s physiological and emotional development. It is especially helpful for prematurely born babies.
- Many people believe that regular massages help in strengthening the child’s bones and also helps in muscle development.
- Some even say that babies experience fewer health problems when they are regularly massaged.
- In India, people believe that massage with warm oil can reduce the risk or severity of cough and cold.
- Massages also help the babies digest their food. And better digestion helps the babies to take sufficient feed needed for their health and wellbeing.
- Babies who are massaged regularly as less likely to be colic.
- When massaged regularly, babies are less prone to crying fits and are calmer.
- If your child has difficulty sleeping, a gentle massage can do wonders. It soothes the baby and makes the child sleepy.
As a parent, you want to do everything that’s beneficial for your child. So, don’t ignore massaging your child. It can help in your child’s health and happiness. Add it to your daily routine. And feel the blessing of seeing your baby happy and comfortable.